Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Greetings from Skartaris: "Holocaust" by Grell and Rubinstein

Dig it, Groove-ophiles! Mike Grell's Warlord is back on the Diversions! We're celebrating the return of Ol' Groove's favorite Groovy Age DC creation with Warlord #15 (July 1978), which is a pretty spectacular issue, lemme tell ya! It's the only 25 page DC Explosion/Implosion ish (due to its then bi-monthly status) and it is glorious! Joe Rubinstein inks this issue with those gorgeous, lush brush-strokes that have made him one of comics' top inkers ever...we get our hero's return to his wife Tara...the first appearance of Travis and Tara's son, Joshua...sci-fi action...and the return of Travis Morgan's greatest foe! Hang on for..."Holocaust!"
























2 comments:

  1. You cannot follow everything. That said, Mike Grell's Warlord is one I wished I taken up. I had an aversion to Grell's art which has warmed over the decades, but this series really seems to have some depth. I have one trade of the earliest tales and that's it.

    Rip Off

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike Grell, in my opinion, had the misfortune to follow the immensely popular Dave Cockrum on the LSH. Although a good artist he paled in comparison to the one and only Mr. C. That's why I never warmed up to him as an artist. But I continued to buy his LSH and anything else he did such as Warlord.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!