Friday, February 14, 2014

Making a Splash: Rich Buckler's Avengers

Happy Valentine's Day, Groove-ophiles! No romance comix today, but I am posting some splashes that I dearly love! Y'all know the Avengers was the mag that hooked me into comics for life. From 1970 through 1972, Avengers wasn't only one of the (if not the) best written Marvel mags (thanks to Roy Thomas and Steve Englehart), but one of the best illustrated, as well*. John Buscema, Sal Buscema, Neal Adams, Barry (Windsor-) Smith, and Rich Buckler made each page a masterpiece. Of the bunch, Rich's work is probably the most neglected by fandom, but Ol' Groove is here to tell ya, it shouldn't be! Young Groove couldn't have been more thrilled with Avengers numbers 101-104 and 106 (April-July and September 1972)--and those issues are still among my all-time faves. I give 'em a twelve out of five on the Groove-o-meter, baby!







(*Not putting down the rest of the 70s run--remember 70-72 were the magical "Making Mine Marvel" years for moi! There was plenty more good stuff from 73 on, too. I'm sure I've mentioned that somewhere...)

2 comments:

  1. Hey Groovy one!
    I'm with you my personal Golden Age was 1968-72. But mainly 1970-72. Rich did draw some great issues of the Avengers, FF & Atlas Seaboard issues. Oh ya & Deathlok! DC, Marvel & all those B & W monster & non monster mags blew me away.They were Far Out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While some have criticized Buckler's ever-changing styles in the Bronze Age, for me that quality is what shows his true talent. Check out what you've posted, inked by Joe Sinnott, which seems to ape Neal Adams and lay it alongside his FF work (also inked by Joltin' Joe) that seemingly apes Kirby. Either style is fantastic and stands among my personal favorite eras of either mag. Really, really good four-color comic art!

    Doug

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!