Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Famous Firsts Week/Black and White Wednesday: "The Testing of Shang-Chi" by Englehart, Starlin, and Milgrom

What it is, Groove-ophiles! We're truckin' right along with FAMOUS FIRSTS WEEK, and of course yers trooly is gonna add BLACK & WHITE WEDNESDAY to the mix. This kung-fu classic from Deadly Hands of Kung Fu #1 (February 1974), now that Ol' Groove thinks about it, actually could have made last week's LO! THERE SHALL COME ENDINGS WEEK, as well, since it's actually the swan-song for Shang-Chi's creative team of writer Steve Englehart and artists Jim Starlin and Al Milgrom (though Stainless Steve would write a couple more kung fu klassiks in Master of Kung Fu). Last week, this week, what does it matter? It all boils down to a far-out flying-kick fest created to entertain and boggle the brain. Check out..."The Testing of Shang-Chi"!













2 comments:

  1. Hey Groovy One!
    Man I used to love DHoKF & all Marvel's epic Kung Fu heroes! Loved Jim Starlin Shang- Chi. I forget the title Marvel Super? Something where he first appeared.

    My favorite story & villian was Midnight!I was happy Roy Thomas brought him back in the Avengers Legion of dead story line. Love my B & W wednesdays! Keep'em coming Groovy One! Especially the Marvel mags!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear,Mr Groove,can you help me?
    I have a memory of an image from a story where Shang (or someone) stood up with a knife in his HEAD!
    Is this something I've dreamt ca 36-38(?) years ago or is there such a "comic" book?
    Number?Artist(s)?Year?
    Thanks.
    /Mr Anonymous

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!