Tuesday, October 18, 2011

If You Blinked You Missed : Arrgh!

In September 1974, Marvel unleashed Arrgh! upon the comicbook world. Like DC's PLOP! it was a horror/mystery mag with a humorous twist, a love-letter to the classic EC Comics in the guise of the love-child of Tales from the Crypt and Mad. Though it lasted only five issues (September 1974-June 1975), Ol' Groove has fond memories of Arrgh! Even my non-comics pals thought it was kinda cool. Violent, subversive horror in the Mighty Marvel Manner? What more could a 70s kid--or a modern-day Groove-ophile--want?


Check out this paralyzing pair of horrifying ha-has from the freaky and fab first ish!  First up it's "Fangs for the Memories" by Jack Younger (better known as Russ Jones), Mike Sekowsky, and Tom Sutton!










Sutton's "Rat!"( inked by Peter Flynn) is still a fave. So creepy and gory--and darkly humorous. A macabre masterpiece of comicbook mirth and mayhem!






5 comments:

  1. Do I see an Eisner homage on the first page of "Rat"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have fond memories of Arrgh too; another memory I had was that Rat was reprinted from somewhere, so I turned to GCD where I found that it first appeared in Scream Door #1 in 1971. Around that time, Marvel sometimes reprinted stories from underground/ground level/small press comics. They also got Hey Buddy, Can You Lend Me A... by Kaluta from Scream Door #1, reprinting it in the first issue of Unknown Worlds along with, if my memory serves me right, a couple of other such gems.

    David Simpson

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember when The Monster Times (a publication of blessed memory) ran Rat in black and white -- full broadsheet, newspaper size. Glorious stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rat appearing in The Monster Times was what I had in the back of my memory. Any idea if that was the strip's first appearance?

    David Simpson

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe that the "Flynn" credit doesn't mean he was the inker; I am a serious Sutton-fan and that art looks like all-Sutton to me. Maybe the Flynn credit is for writing or co-writing? Sometimes Sutton played games with credits (see some of his Sywald stories), using, I think, his son's names sometimes (Sean Todd) or just made-up names.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!