Monday, May 9, 2011

Random Reads: "The War Machine!" by Wein and Thorne

What it is, Groove-ophiles! Ya know, Ol' Groove has done several posts pertaining to the pulse-pounding back-ups found in DC's Korak Son of Tarzan run, but I've been neglecting Tarzan's teen-offspring, himself! Well, I might goof up a lot, but I always try to rectify my oversights! So here's a dandy tale from Korak's second DC ish, #47 (May 1972). Written by 70s superstar Len Wein with outstanding Joe Kubert-inspired art by Frank (Red Sonja, Ghita) Thorne "The War Machine" pits Korak against crocodiles, slavery, Nazis, zeppelins, aaaaaand sports a supporting character who looks and sounds suspiciously like Humphrey Bogart from the African Queen. Now if that last bit of info doesn't grab ya, Groove-ophile, then ya better have a doctor check your pulse!

And dig that Kubert cover! Didn't take Young Groove long to decide to plunk down two dimes for this dude way back when! Can ya blame 'im?

2 comments:

  1. Do believe I own this issue somewhere in my collection. I really love Frank Thorne! I won't mind seeing more of his work here on Diversions.
    Thanks for this story, GA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Early 70s, ERB, Frank Thorne, and DC: what a GREAT way to start a Monday morning. Thanks for posting, Groove! Here's hoping for more DC ERB in the future.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!