Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Groove's Faves: "The Mer-Mutants!" by Friedrich and Weiss

What it is, Groove-ophiles! In early 1972, Namor, the Sub-Mariner's creator, Bill Everett, returned to his creation. Young Groove really dug Everett's slick, organic line, baby! Of course I'd always been a nut for Subby, but those Everett issues really stood out. Sometimes, though, Wild Bill would have deadline problems which would result in reprints. Not a problem for moi, 'cause the reprints were vintage Everett, and though it was some 30 years old at the time, t'was all new to me! Some folks didn't dig getting so many reprints I suppose, so Marvel tried to appease those fans with Sub-Mariner #54 (July 1972). That issue contained one short, brand-new Everett tale, a classic Everett reprint, and this brand-new Subby saga by Mike Friedrich (who was scripting Everett's issues on-and-off) and a young, and far-too seldom-seen Alan Weiss. Though Weiss's art was waaay different from Everett's , I flipped for it. The story itself is a nice piece, with Friedrich hitting the "relevance" notes that were popular with fans back then, but it was Weiss's art that stole the show. Check it out!

2 comments:

  1. I always wondered where I got the idea for a drawing of a beautiful mermaid with hardly any 'wrappings' on her top half. It was adapted from this very first page - Thanks for the closure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omigod, I have such fond memories of this story.

    I miss my 20-cent conics...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!